Usually when the term fasting comes, one thinks not to eat or drink anything. In other terms starving. Some thinks that some certain special fasting material can be eaten. But actually fasting means to control food and drink for a specific time. This has been followed even as spiritual fasting by many religions. I feel fasting is to change diet plan in a restricted timing.
It means that instead of eating 3 large meals or eating small meal whole day, at least do not eat for continuously few hours and then eat for few hours in a day. Therefore during eating you should restrict all processed foods, fried food, sweets etc to get more benefits from fasting. Therefore one should stick whole food diet, rich in fruits, veggies, lean proteins, healthy fats and raw dairy.
Different Types of Fasting
This type of fasting is also called as Cyclic fasting. Means it is a cycle of eating and fasting. Fast times range from 14-18 hours. It can be extended till 32 hours.
It means 12-16 hrs are fasting time. Rest time can eat healthy food.
Alternate Day Fasting
Another type of intermittent fasting where severely restricting the amount of calories you eat during fasting days, then eating to your stomach’s content on non-fasting days. Food isn’t completely off the table, but you’ll stick to about 25 percent of your normal caloric intake. Someone eating 2,000 calories would cut back to 500, for example.
It’s very similar to alternate day fasting except here, you eat normally for five days of the week. On the other two, calories are restricted to about 500–600 calories a day.
The Warrior Diet
Here, you’ll stick to fruits and veggies during the day and then eat a well-rounded, larger meal in the evenings.
Does fasting useful-
- Does Fasting Detoxify the Body? “There is no scientific evidence it will detox the body. The issue of fasting to cleanse the body has no biological basis because the body is real good at that by itself,” says Fernstrom. “The liver is a natural detox center; the Lungs the Colon, the Kidneys, [the lymph glands] and the skin get rid of toxins.”
But Fuhrman, who has supervised hundreds of patients’ fasts for medicinal purposes, disagrees.”We know that the body is unable to rid itself of toxins when we eat a diet low in nutrients,” and that applies to most Americans, even those who think they are healthy, he says.
- Spiritual and Religious Fasting– But fasting has been used for religious and spiritual purification for centuries.
- Medical Reasons for Fasting– there is the necessity — of fasting before surgery. Under anesthesia,” says Fernstrom. .”You don’t want the body to be digesting food as it manages the slower breathing [and other body changes].
Fasting is also required to get accurate readings for certain medical tests. Short-term fasting before tests for lipids and blood sugar for example, helps achieve a more accurate baseline count.
- Fasting to Treat Disease– For Fasting also claim that the practice can effectively treat serious health conditions, from arthritis to heart disease and depression.
How to Fast-
- Decide what type of fast you’re going to do.
- Set some goals.
- Make a menu and stock the fridge.
- Listen to your body.
Certain people should not fast, including:
- Women who is Pregnant.
- People with wasting diseases or malnutrition.
- Those with a history of cardiac arrhythmias.
- People with hepatic or renal insufficiency.